Akeero is an exciting early-stage, venture-backed start-up based in Cork, Ireland, building a pioneering, cloud-native automated product security and compliance platform that makes dev teams’ lives easier!
Built for cloud-native products and services, made with developers in mind, and helps devs build secure products from day zero!
We're looking for a talented person to join a small team of software engineering rockstars. We need your help to take the Akeero platform from a product with lots of potential and great early traction to a category-defining “must have”.
This is our interview process:
We are a fully remote company, so the interview process is also remote. We will try to accommodate calls to suit your working day and to get you through the process quickly.
- (30mins) An initial video call with one of the founders. We’ll tell you a bit about us, demo our product if you’re interested, answer any questions you may have, and learn about your background and what you’re looking to do.
- (1hr) A more in-depth video call with an engineer where we will explore your experience and will ask technical questions.
- (1hr) A video call chat session to meet a few other team members from engineering or leadership to allow both sides to meet future teammates.
Offer extended! If you are interested in talking to more potential coworkers or have additional questions, we will also arrange any additional chats for you.
What you will do:
As part of our small but mighty engineering team you:
- Will design/build/test and deliver the product, by writing high-quality, well-tested code that gives our customers confidence that they are in safe hands
- Will have a main focus on the backend required to support all operations in the application. With Akeero being a startup there is plenty of opportunity to move up and down the stack though!
- Will identify areas of improvement in how we work, and in the codebase, and share the responsibility of making our Engineering team even better.
- Own the problems you’re solving - and the software you write to solve them - all the way to production and beyond, reacting to customer feedback to improve those solutions.
- Will help mentor and grow junior team members as the team expands.
This role is about more than writing code. As an early team member, you will:
- Have our support to become an influential voice in shaping our product, our technical direction and how we work.
- Use your understanding of the possibilities of software and automation to influence a product that brings power to our customers’ engineering and security teams.
- Use your skills to ship exciting new features while enhancing our scalability, security and availability.
- Use your experience to define our engineering culture.
What you bring with you:
The following are some areas you should have experience in - don’t worry if you don’t have them all (nobody does!) as long as you can show you are interested in learning and able to demonstrate what you know and don’t know.
The techie stuff
- Experience delivering a modern web application to production.
- Experience in being an owner/lead of a feature, taking it from design all the way to production.
- Understanding of what it takes to operate an application at scale.
- OAuth/SAML login flows (especially authentication as a service offerings).
- Knowledge of new Python features such as Typing, Dataclasses, MyPi.
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases.
- GraphDb experience (e.g. Neptune, Gremlin, SPARQL)
- Understanding of event driven architecture, and working with large distributed systems
- A security first mindset and an understanding of how to build security into all stages of development.
- Understanding of how to craft software to be maintainable, testable and scalable
- Not afraid to research and propose ideas, but equally comfortable if those ideas are turned down due to engineering/product concerns.
The non-techie stuff
- You love creating innovative solutions to customer problems. You should see different technologies as a means to an end, and be excited by the idea of hunting for a solution through unfamiliar domains.
- You are an effective coach/mentor for more junior software engineers that will join as the team expands. Collaboration with, and empathy for, both our team and our customers are invaluable in how we work.
- You are comfortable with an environment where things move quickly. As an early stage startup we’re still putting together all of the processes and supports of larger, more mature companies - your input will help us shape them!
- You are comfortable challenging architectural or coding opinions in the team.
If any of the below are also you, then that's a bonus!
- Experience delivering and running SaaS applications in production.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and Terraform.
- A security background, either professional or academic.
- Experience in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Experience with NoSql single table design.
If you have any open source projects or examples of work you have done which you can share that would really help us understand your experience and passion for software craft.
What we offer:
- A chance to shape and influence an early-stage company backed by leading VCs such as Sequoia and Frontline.
- A competitive salary and meaningful share options.
- Truly flexible working times, to allow you to achieve a better work-life balance.
- 25 days annual leave.
- Maternity/Paternity leave.
- Wedding leave.
- Half day Fridays.
- Remote working stipend.
- Training and development opportunities.
Akeero helps engineers design secure cloud infrastructure by default. Now every engineer has automated security expertise, an intuitive drag-and-drop canvas to iterate on designs, and actionable code snippets and configuration specs to deploy infrastructure securely from day zero. Akeero works with your tools, understands your existing infrastructure, and fits with your workflows. Secure infrastructure starts by empowering and enabling developers, and with our automated compliance controls, comprehensive component library, and Jira task integration, your whole team just levelled up. If security isn’t first, it’s last – make it a priority today with Akeero.
Akeero is the sweet spot for people who are passionate about products, making a mark, and having fun doing it. Due to our stage of growth, anything you do will have a tangible impact on Akeero and our product.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or on the basis of disability.
If you require an accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or need an alternative method for applying, please contact us!